Today I went to the gym, forgetting that it is the official "Grand Opening" (nevermind that they've been open for a month already) and was faced with mass chaos. Balloons everywhere, a full on band (playing music that was not ideal for working out to, but whatever), and lots of personal trainers lurking around looking for unsuspecting fat people. Unfortunately, one of them swooped up on me while I was using one of the weight machines. Since I couldn't think of a good enough reason not to, I was forced to endure a free personal training session. Oh. My. Gosh. I don't think my legs are going to work at all tomorrow. And then of course I got talked into signing up for a personal trainer for the next six months. It's soooo expensive. I can only afford the once a month option, and had to be very firm with the guy (who wanted me to sign up for the 4 sessions a month option, which costs $200 a month! can anyone really afford that during these tough economic times? I sure can't.).
Jo and I, ready to take on the city in our rain hats.
J-squared and the troll, plus one annoying kid who would not stop climbing on the thing so we could get a picture without him in it.

So last weekend Jon and Johanna came to visit me. It was great to see them, but I felt a little bad that the weather was so crappy while they were here. As they said, gray and rainy is pretty much exactly what they expected of Seattle. I picked them up on Thursday evening at the airport around 9, and took them straight to their hotel (as I'd worked 4 days in a row and was beat). I think they're going to do a blog post, so I'll let them tell you about the hotel.
All three of us agreed that we really wanted to sleep in, so we didn't get started till late morning on Friday. I took the bus to their hotel, then we walked downtown, stopping at Top Pot Doughnuts on the way. We went to Pike's Market, which was as usual, packed with people. Jon expressed that this was exactly what he imagines hell to be like :) After picking up lots of goodies at Pike's and a quick stop to buy some Aleve at Walgreen's, we hit all the stores that Jon and Jo wanted to go to.
There is something very tiring about wandering around a city all day shopping, so we decided to take the Monorail back towards the hotel when we were all done. It was positively posh compared to the bus (although it cost the same), and we enjoyed our monorail experience immensely. We dropped off J-squared's portion of the day's loot, and they freshened up for dinner, and then we hopped on a bus to my place.
My friends Amy and De met us at my apartment, and we all relaxed and chatted for a little while. Then we all met my roommate at Ray's Cafe...my go-to waterfront restaurant for visitors to Seattle. We had a lovely dinner (although I'm always surprised at the quality of waitstaff at Ray's...because it just isn't on par with everything else). One pregnant and very thirsty member of our party, after trying unsuccessfully to flag down a waiter to refill her glass, got up and walked over to the drink station where she picked up a water pitcher and brought it to our table. I kind of wanted to pump my fist into the air and give a loud "woohoo!" or an old school "you go, girl!" but I refrained.
Saturday was cold and rainy (where Friday had just been cold and cloudy), so we planned on indoor activities. First, we went to the Hawaii General Store (the only place Johanna said that she had to visit while here). It was full of terrific Hawaiian things, and had a very friendly proprietor who told us which restaurants around had the most authentic and delicious Hawaiian food. One of them is in a town about 20 miles north, but since it was on the way to the outlet mall we were going to, we decided to check it out. By the time we left the General Store, we were pretty much all ravenous. We enjoyed some spicy rice cracker mix and refreshing Guava beverages in the car, and began our trek...eager for the highly-recommended Hawaiian plate lunch awaiting us in the north. After a wrong turn off the highway, which lead us through a beautiful forest and to a great bluff/view of the water, we finally found the restaurant. As we drove up, I noticed that the Open sign wasn't lit up, and there was a note taped to the door. It read "Sorry, we are closed today for a luau." And that is the story of how we got Humpbacked by Hawaiians.
Saturday night was my friend Amy's birthday party/charity event. She ended up getting this party space donated in the back of a great Thai restaurant downtown. You can read more about it here: iwillnotforgetyou.xanga.com and the charity the proceeds went to here: www.sharingonline.org/orphan-relief
There was delicious Thai food and a DJ, and lots of fun was had and money was made for a good cause. We didn't stay till the end, because apparently I am a grandma now and am exhausted by 10 pm. Although to be fair it had been a busy week and I didn't get my customary night of 12 hours of sleep. The title of this post comes from a cocktail that my roommate ordered that night. I believe it was called Spiced Thai Iced Tea and was a signature drink of the restaurant. We all decided that Diarrhea on the Rocks would be a far better name, as that is exactly what it looked like.
On Sunday I picked up J-squared for the 11:15 service at my church. We stopped by Winchell's donuts on the way to get Amy and De, and Jon and Jo were lucky enough to have an authentic Seattle-crazy-person encounter. There was loud ranting about how "THIS CITY IS ALWAYS KEEPING PEOPLE DOWN!" and I can't remember the rest of it. I'm glad he was there, but it would have been cooler if they got to meet pops-out-his-eyeball-guy. Maybe next time...
The weather was actually really nice on Sunday, so after church we visited the Fremont troll, then wandered around Ballard for awhile. We spent quite awhile in Archie McPhee, where one can purchase anything from bacon-flavored jelly beans to a creepy rubber owl mask. We headed back downtown for dinner...to the only remaining Hawaiian restaurant available to us. The food was pretty good, but the ambience really made me wish that I was at the beach (as in, the warm kind where you get tan and go swimming without becoming hypothermic). Then I showed Jon and Jo where I work, at the top of a gigantic hill. We called it an early night, so they could pack and I could do some adult chores (filling my car up with gas, buying groceries, etc).
Monday was kind of low-key. After checking out, we went back to Top Pot Doughnuts one more time. On the way, I became highly confused about the rules for driving on a one way street with four lanes that are separated in the middle by Monorail pylons. Anyone who knows the rules should let me know ASAP. I just waited till a light came up, then crossed over to the side I needed to be on, but I'm not sure if that's legal. The day was colder then we were expecting (and none of us were appropriately dressed), so after a quick stop at Patagonia we went and hibernated in my favorite Barnes & Noble. Then grabbed a quick lunch before heading to the airport. It's crazy how much has changed since the day last August that I dropped my mom off at the airport. I remember sobbing as I drove away that day, wondering what I was doing on my own in a strange city that might never feel like home. And now, 7 months later, it does feel like home :)
Notable firsts for Rachel thanks to Jon and Johanna visiting:
- Tried Ahi Tuna for the first time. Pleasantly surprised.
- Clocked numerous hours driving downtown in the thick of things. Also parallel parked downtown many times. Have overcome my silly fears about driving/parking downtown and feel that this may revolutionize my social life.
- Tried Spam Musubi for the first time. Found it to be a delicious treat. Will hereafter refer to appetizers by their hawaiian name, pupus (pronounced poo-poos...heehee).
For absolutely no good reason, I don't have many pictures of the weekend. Those that I do have are kind of blurry. I'm just going to blame it on my eldest brother's strong anti-camera feelings. I'm pretty sure that Jo got a lot of good pictures, and hopefully she'll post them soon. These are the ones that I have:
Cool fountain at the city center. It's not in the picture, but there was a large crowd just off to the right whose various members were trying to see how close they could get without getting wet.
Congrats on making it to the end of this very long post! Now you must leave a comment.
7 comments:
Looked like you guys had lots of fun!! I want to visit Seattle some day, I have family that live up there and in Oregon and the farthest west I have ever been is Utah:)
Hi Rach
You you have great stories about this famous city of yours? Is it yours now? I see you caling it home already, sure why not. Have a great week.
See you soon.
Love ya
Neuz
passwords ARE taking over and yes they DO suck. I only have 2 or 3 for everything. I don't care if it isn't safe. too much trouble to have new ones for every thing.
I am a mean person, but I feel a slight bit of vindication with the weather + seattle + my brother/his wife + visiting my sister...I will reiterate, I never claimed that Seattle and Minneapolis had the exact same weather patterns. What I claimed is that they had similar "weather suckiness" and it gets old really fast. so on one level I'm sad that the weather was bad and you all couldn't enjoy the trip as much...but on another level I'm happy that J2 got to experience how sucktastic bad weather can be for an entire weekend. now imagine that for 4-6 months in a row!
seacrest out!
i didn't that the weather sucked only that it was gray and exactly how i pictured it would be. which is nothing like minnesota. life sucking cold vs. overcast & rainy. i could handle seattle. minnesota winter would make me want to kill myself.
Yeah, way to go on your milestones, you are becoming so adventurous since you've moved. I am looking forward to our next adventure with Aunt Wachel!
Alright, if you keep arguing/fighting, you know the threat....
hey cousin! i love you and your blogs. skype date tuesday, 5/5/09. don't you forget!!!! :)
-Katoosha
Post a Comment