Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blue skies, smilin' at me

Spring has been lovely so far. Last weekend was sunny and in the 70's, and the O.R. is once again full of people who have broken themselves while enjoying the sunshine. There are rumors that temperatures may reach the low to mid 80's this weekend, and the entire city seems manic about it. Paroxysms of joy, even. It's like the universe making amends after last year's truly dismal summer (I think it only reached 80 degrees about six times total).


Here's my tiny friend Max, enjoying a swing at one of the best parks ever (it still has one of those merry-go-rounds that have nearly been litigated out of existence everywhere else).


Me and Max on a walk. That look of disgruntlement on his face is from the fact that he wasn't feeling so great (cutting teeth is the worst!), and because I insisted on using my phone to take a picture instead of letting him eat it.


Last weekend I went hiking with a friend of mine from work. There's a really nice trail about 45 minutes from the city, by a big lake, that is absolutely packed on nice days in the summer. We got there around 9 am and it wasn't too bad. I wanted to try out my Vibram Fivefingers on the trail for the first time, so it was a relatively short hike (2 miles) with a modest elevation gain (1200 feet). But the payoff at the top is pretty awesome.


Vibrams don't keep out water, so I had to air out my feet at the top.


Stephanie and I had pbjs and enjoyed the view. We ran part of the way back down, and I think I might have to start trail running. It's fun (and I felt a little bit like Tarzan), and challenges different muscles than I'm used to working.




1 comment:

bro who lives in MN said...

love the pict of lake + feet = makes me happy.

hope all is well...looking forward to seeing you this summer.