Summer was long and warm and wonderful, and I felt a little manic (as usual) with sunlight from 4:45 am -10 pm. I spent a lot of money, eating & drinking too much, and doing some fun summer things. There was also a lot of sitting around in a stagnant poo-puddle (metaphorically speaking). But God is overwhelming with grace, and I am no longer in that puddle.
Some highlights from the summer include:
The Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon! It was a perfect day, and I finished the race. I wouldn't do another one in FiveFingers (my weird running shoes), but I would probably do another one...
Picking blueberries with Kara & Max at her in-laws' U-pick blueberry farm
Camping with a great group of girls from work. My first time camping, and I loved it!
Some great hikes, including my first solo hike (on a well-travelled trail so I felt safe but also enjoyed the solitude of being basically alone in the forest).
Spending some time with this amazing bunch:
Speaking of that, I had a zen moment of gratitude the other day at work that was shocking in its intensity. It was an ordinary day (actually a Friday, which are usually harder than other days) and I was scrubbing with one of my favorite surgeons. The other people in the room were all like-able enough, but not people I would say I have particularly strong feelings for one way or the other. I was suddenly smacked with fondness for everyone in the room, and had the realization that this day would never happen again because the only thing constant in life is change...and was just profoundly grateful for such a holy moment in the middle of an ordinary day. I'm sure I looked crazy grinning under my surgical mask, and I sort of wondered if the anesthetic gas was leaking, but why question euphoria?
Mostly because of the aforementioned metaphorical poo-puddle, I haven't yet made any forward motion with plans for the future. Soon, though. Transition is on the wind :)
Tell me about your zen moments...










2 comments:
I like spiders. As someone currently living in "real" summer, as opposed to the fake one that was here for most of July, all of the flies are driving me crazy. Spiders would be welcome to catch and eat any of the flies. Send us a box of your spiders please, we would appreciate it.
I'm sorry you were sitting in a stagnant poo puddle. From Tedder's perspective it seems like he does not enjoy the literal version of that so i imagine the metaphorical is similar. I feel like you have transitioned the least of the people in that picture in the last five years as far as role/job/place but perhaps in much greater quantities in less visible ways. We are thankful for you too.
I am glad you like to camp. I do too and look forward to taking the boys one day...whenever they are ok with nature sounds and they can sleep through the night.
My zen moments of gratitude are usually caught only in my mind during a passing moment, but i caught a few on camera tonight. Mayhaps i will send you them in the email. I posted one to facebook of Xavi pulling his brothers in the wagon. My child can levitate!
Thanks for your thoughts :) I would send you all the spiders in a box if that didn't involve getting close to them to somehow corral them into a box.
That picture is fantastic...made my innards feel like warm goo (in the best possible way).
Post a Comment