So have you heard this song? Because the first time I heard it on the radio, I thought 'hey, that's catchy.' And then when I really listened to the lyrics, I recognized life-giving words. And the first time I watched the video...well, yeah, I cried. Because running through my head for most of my life thus far has been this powerful (and tyrannical) question, mostly rooted in fear: What will people think? This song is an invitation to let go of that, acknowledging that it's hard, but showing the joy & freedom on the other side. I'll mail a dollar to anyone who can watch the whole video without smiling.
Keeping with the theme of things that require courage, I'm running the Rock n Roll half marathon this Saturday. Training didn't go exactly as planned (like most things in life), but I feel ready enough that I'm excited. Mostly because they're shutting down major streets in downtown Seattle, and I'll get to run on both a highway and a major thoroughfare with great views of the water. Also finishers receive a medal (not to mention a T-shirt and swag bag). Send your thoughts/prayers/positive energies my way on Saturday morning!
The self-imposed deadline I set as a naive young twenty-something is fast approaching. Five years in Seattle, working in the operating room of a major trauma center, will come to an end. Maybe not forever, but definitely for now. Next up, God willing and tentatively slated for 2014, is six months volunteering with Mercy Ships ... and then perhaps some time travel nursing in the UK. I have always wanted to live overseas, and it feels like this is the time to do it. Packing up and going to a new place (for any amount of time) feels like taking the deepest breath possible, a whole world unfolding inside my chest. I'm excited for the future :)
2 comments:
Xuxu,
Loved the song; obviously listening by the pool with a glass of wine really added to the significance....Congrats again on finishing the 13.1...you inspired to start running again so I ran 1.5 this morning...:-)
Interesting times coming up for you...go for it...
Thanks meu pai. In light of everything going on, I'm glad we're not trying to plan a trip to Brazil right now. Wish I could hang out by the pool with you :)
Post a Comment